Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (5.6 K)

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2014, at 12:09 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>

> > ut that probably wasn't so necessary as a room with a lot of keyboards /
> screens is not usually all that private.
>
> This is what I have found to be the best solution at home. The filtering
> software is garbage, and can't effectively filter sites like Youtube,
> unless your idea of filtering is no Youtube at all. It may sound old
> fashioned, but putting the computer in a common area of the home or at
> least insuring that the bedroom door stays open is the best I have come up
> with, without limiting the web to just Yahoo Kids.
>
> Bob Hansen

Filtering software is not so much garbage in a setting where visited web
sites are logged and can be traced to a user and junior knows this.

Even if you're alone in your cube, a lonely cube farmer working late, the
corporate nanny has software to sift through the logs. I invited a friend
to visit me in my cube at a conservative Catholic hospital once where I was
temping, and went off to the restroom and when I came back he had a Church
of the Subgenius site open he wanted me to see, and lo and behold the next
day I had to call IT and talk to a human before my browser would work right
anymore. You're always logged in. That big brother work environment tends
to be what schools emulate, and China. Likely your router keeps logs if
you want it too.

When it comes to at home, my partner and I worked at home from the same
office and our children could play their computer games in our presence, me
programming, she bookkeeping.

My younger daughter liked anatomy games with talking skulls showing your
their bones etc. Several classics. As the youngest grew older, she played
with Sims and Sim City more than with dolls, though she did have a classic
doll house. By the time she was a teen she had her own computer in her own
room. Her older sister had cable TV in her room but I stopped getting
cable all together after awhile, renting DVDs and/or using Netflix.

We watched movies as a family quite a bit, including documentaries.

My current plan is to go back to free broadcast TV only, and DVDs.

Now my daughters are adult or in college, and my partner has passed away
(she was only 53), I tend to invite people over to watch Internet stuff
plus my housemate is a sometime video nut, as is at least one of my
neighbors. So both the DSL and the DVD players get a workout.

I know a couple in Philadelphia that uses the Internet to do on-line
courses many hours a week. These courses sometimes develop into local
discussion groups. I joined a meetup of "The Philly Thinkers" when in
Philly last week, based on this pattern. The assigned viewing had included
six hours of a Stanford professor, Sapolsky, lecturing on human
sexuality.[1]

Here we were, about 15-20 adult strangers on a Sunday, mixed age /
ethnicity, having a civil / academic / personal discussion of matters
sexual in nature (bonobos much discussed), in a gigantic Starbucks.
Andragogy seems to be thriving, at least in Philadelphia, thanks to the
Internet.[2] Older high schoolers of sufficient maturity could integrate
into this pattern easily, as they transition into a more collegial /
democratic society (would be my ideal).

Regarding Youtube, I see that as mostly PG content, really pretty innocuous
ratings-wise. Some TV-14 maybe but nothing MA. I recall a nine year old
girl watching people sledding on a rare snow day in Portland, saying she
wanted to stop sledding herself and just "watch the fails", I understood
her Internet jargon. Youtube has lots of fail collections... and Annoying
Orange.[3]

I don't care if kids watch a lot of demented stuff, since, as I was saying,
I grew up on Mad Magazine at that age (4th - 8th grades). A family I know,
a lot like mine, watches Myth Busters as a family and undertakes some
similar experiments around the home (adult supervised). The mom has a PhD
in chemistry and met the really smart dad, into statistics, at a national
lab. In fact, the dad is the PB I mentioned at the start of this other
thread:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2620194 (What Algebra
textbooks are CS-friendly?)

Kirby

[1] http://youtu.be/95OP9rSjxzw (Sapolsky)
[2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/13062619515/
(I was on my way to the airport, with my friend leading the discussion)
[3] http://www.youtube.com/user/realannoyingorange

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
Read Re: Structured Programming
[...]
[...]
[...]