Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.7 K)

> 3. Other Adults - These are all of the other adults that you interact,
including teachers.

I'd say some young people fail to develop relationships with "the dead"
i.e. people who lived in a different time yet still have much to offer, in
terms of readings and points of view.

By 8th grade I was reading Freud and all through high school I spent a lot
of time reading stuff by "dead people" as well as by the living.

Isaac Asimov, then among the living, was muy influential, as were Will
Durant and Bertie Russell.

Some people do not become comfortable enough as readers to really develop
relationships with authors through their works.

This yoga teacher I know was most influenced by Ayn Rand and Kurt Vonnegut
in college. What a combo right? She's from Indiana where Vonnegut is
celebrated with a giant mural (several stories tall) in Indianapolis.

I'd say Noam Chomsky has been hugely influential on a number of young
people. He continues to be influential.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 2:27 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> > What do you mean by influence? I would mean influence on my development,
> on what I became.
> > Peers might influence the way I used to dress, how I spoke, but had very
> little to do with my development. Ditto for random events.

Depends whom we call a peer too. Many little kids might consider the
Cookie Monster a peer.

> I meant the same thing as you. Influence on what you become. If peers
> influence you to have sex and you become pregnant, does that have an effect
> on what you become? If peers influence you to become goth, does that have
> an effect on what you become? Peer pressure is one of the most influential
> things there is. Ideally, it shouldn't be. But it is. I think that is part
> of high CQ. Not being so influenced by peers.
>
> Bob Hansen

One's choice of peer groups makes a difference for sure.

The Internet has catalyzed a host of new ways for peers to meetup, talking
about meetup.com more than dating services.

A school of the future might involve attending hundreds of meetups around
town, even while submitting work for review and evaluation. The "city as
campus" meme is one of my favorites.

I'd like schools to focus a lot more on place-based "learning the ropes" re
public transportation.

My former housemate at Princeton and later in Jersey City, got a job at NYU
in New York City just helping college students overcome their fear of the
big city and availing of its resources. High schoolers can be just as
parochial, tied-down to a neighborhood.

Imagine a high school course that was nothing but the history of your
region and all the ways to get around in it without having to own a
personal vehicle.

You would also be issued a GPS-enabled cell phone if you didn't have one,
something my dream schools see fit to provide (complete with school
specific apps, with schedules of events and flash passes to get you in) --
even more so than laptops, which you can lease separately or don't need, as
your home directory is "in the cloud" and campus workstations are freely
available (at coffee shops etc.).

Probably more a "developing world" model than a US-based experiment as the
attitude towards kids here is not especially healthy.

Mostly kids are exploited and led into bad habits by profit-minded media
who just needs to recruit a next generation of cig smoker and soda pop
drinker, and loan seeker. America eats its young, then spits 'em out, fat
and prone to heart disease. That's the average state of the American Dream
these days.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
[...]
[...]
[...]