Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

kirby urner

att1.html (4.6 K)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 4:00 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > That's how it comes across to you because I think differently, but I
> would claim just as precisely if not more so, simply using different
> terminology.
>
> That is how it comes across to everyone. And I am not limiting myself to
> just this forum.

You're saying everyone even beyond this group sees my writing as a
mash-up? Or that your thinking comes across us mushy beyond to just us
4/6ths?

Not clear on your pronouns.

In the case of my writing, it's at least self-consistent which helps those
who bother to explore it with some recurring reference points, comforting
continuity and so on. I have many subscribers who appreciate my
reliability, which is different from predictability.

> 1. Is the faith in religion the same as the faith in science?
>
> You said yes and no, I will take that as a yes, because even "yes and no"
> in the context of that question means yes.

Yes, I meant faith in religion to give us this day our daily bread and
faith in Coca-Cola to feed us this day our family of shareholders, have a
lot in common, starting with brand loyalty based on identifiable
iconography.

People forget Coca-Cola brought us Santa Claus as we (many of us) know
him. We don't give credit where credit is due. The secular (aka
"profane") is no less influential than the more exalted stuff.

Like, kids today don't learn how Dr. Seuss (the kid book illustrator, Cat
in the Hat) fought against Hitler either (school is deficient in sharing
the lore -- thin-as-gruel what they serve, in most zip codes, sorry to say).

> 2. If not, then how are they different?
>
> For this question you sound as if you are still thinking about it, in more
> tangents than I can count.
>
> Focus more on the gist of the question. As a thought experiment, you have
> two individuals (just two) and they live in solitude (they never interact
> with each other). One is scientific and one religious. Describe their
> faiths.
>
> Bob Hansen

They are both loyal to a credo which they likely recite to themselves in
various mantra-like ways e.g. "E = mc^2" etc.

Both "advertise to themselves" i.e. put on little shows that persuade them,
as a focus group of one, of the power of one's own marketing, i.e. we get
from our "religion" that we have "the right stuff" (lets file this all
under the "pep talk to self" genre, e.g. what some of us might say in the
mirror to ourselves (if not naturally self-deprecating or otherwise
unconcerned)).

Hmmm... the list goes on and on actually. Why? Because they're both homo
sapiens with many traits pre-programmed. We're but the latest in a series
of hominids, hominins more specifically (not a typo).

So just by your telling me they're both sapiens, albeit in their separate
worlds, I see the same servile obedience to ideas, seen to come "from a
higher place" -- and I'm not saying its been bad for survival either, this
sub-servitude, so don't let my mocking tone say I'm above servile obedience
to ideas myself (I just hope I choose judiciously and don't waste *too*
much time sacrificing to clay idols...).

Here's some example / sample science (presented in a church, but no matter):

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2014/03/hominins-isepp-lecture.html

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14