Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

kirby urner

att1.html (3.8 K)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 5:52 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>

> > You're saying everyone even beyond this group sees my writing as a
> mash-up? Or that your thinking comes across us mushy beyond to just us
> 4/6ths?
>
> The former.

That's what I thought you probably meant.

I would not make you the judge though, nor me, if its to be a fair contest,
as to which of us is less mushy in our thinking.

> > They are both loyal to a credo which they likely recite to themselves in
> various mantra-like ways e.g. "E = mc^2" etc.
> >
> > Both "advertise to themselves" i.e. put on little shows that persuade

> them, as a focus group of one, of the power of one's own marketing, i.e. we
> get from our "religion" that we have "the right stuff" (lets file this all
> under the "pep talk to self" genre, e.g. what some of us might say in the
> mirror to ourselves (if not naturally self-deprecating or otherwise
> unconcerned)).
>

> You are still mashing things together. You are telling us how they are the
> same. The original question was how they are different.

No, the question was "If they are different then..." and I stopped with
"they're not, really."

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_pragmatic_disorder
>
> Just saying.

I followed your flow chart and got off at 1.

But I don't agree that makes all faithful behavior "religious" in nature as
one may be faithful to any credo, scientific or not.

I'm especially eager not to join in some "science versus religion" debate
as if these were polar opposites.

I find this polarity to be a mental defect. But that does not mean I think
atheists need to agree to call themselves "religious" just because some RH guy
thinks "religious" means acting without proof or sufficient reason to prove
said acting necessary.

Even the most scientific among us cannot afford to wait for science to tell
us what to do. Science says "I don't know" a lot, yet we still must choose
(a point I often brought up with Paul Tanner III).

Here's a good example of theism by the way, what the deists rebelled
against and founded the USA to dispose of (a losing battle most likely, but
they knew that then):

http://youtu.be/L6HdRVKXqNg

OK, I exaggerate, there's a lot worse out there. I'm just feasting on
everythingisterrible.com these days in my copious free time (not!).

Kirby

> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14