Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.0 K)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:24 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Oft times "bad attitude" is simply rebelliousness against adults who are
> indeed obnoxious and over-full of themselves.
>
> Yeah, so it wasn't that. And that is pretty easy to distinguish. It
> depends on the nature and consistency of the behavior. I have an advantage
> here. I have seen the experiment where you let all the kids do anything
> they want. I lived it. But even without that experience, most people can
> tell the difference between rebelliousness and just plain bad attitude.
> Antisocial groups bond over similar angsts and views of society. Just being
> rebellious isn't enough. And there are the posers.
>
> Bob Hansen

Yeah, I'm not trying to second guess your local assessments and judgments,
regarding a situation I know naught of. Your goths and pseudo-goths are
what they are. I wasn't there. One "had to be there" as they say.

Another example of a local usage pattern:

The term "geek" comes from carnival lore, or so we get from 'Nightmare
Alley', a novel turned into a movie that's from before my time, but I
managed to snag anyway (Tyrone Powers plays the lead). The "geek" in a
carnival was the guy so down on his luck he'd bite the head of a live
chicken to draw a crowd to his sideshow.

That's why in my circles (Steve Holden and PB [1]) the drink called a
Bloody Mary by most is known as a Headless Chicken. When you put the
toothpick through two olives and a "beak", you get a chicken looking thing,
with the connotation of "bloody" inherited from the parent class.

I'm sure if I go into a bar in Chicago and ask for a Headless Chicken
they'll just stare at me blankly, whereas I freely admit to being an
ignoramus about bar drinks, even though I manned a wine and beer counter in
college. I only just learned last year what to call a vodka + grapefruit
juice, one of my faves: it's a "greyhound" wouldn't ya know.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8180.html ( mixed drinks: a kind of math,
lots of fractions, andragogues take note)[2]

In my lingo, a "nerd" is a larval form of geek in a similar sense to
pseudo-goth wannabe teens may or may not mature into full fledged goths.
Geeks actually have phenomenal social skills whereas nerds are still in
their shells, overly self-conscious about some putative self.[3]

But these are far from universal usage patterns. For most people, "geek"
and "nerd" are still inter-changeable, a waste of at least one good word as
a synonym for the other.

Kirby

[1] http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2620194 (local characters
in my Cascadia-based narrative)

[...]
[...]
[...]