Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

Louis Talman

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:12:39 -0600, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 1:50 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

>> When and if ever we visit another civilization, the physics will look
>> the same.

> Well, unless we are visiting a civilization in one of those multiverses,
> then it won?t be the same. But our rocket ship, and everything inside
> it, will have ceased to exist as soon as we enter the multiverse, so
> this doesn?t count.:)
>
> These elements, force, momentum, velocity, acceleration, etc, are
> invariant in the context of this question. Meaning, any understanding of
> physics at the same level of ours can?t happen without them. If that is
> true, then they cannot be imagined. If they cannot be imagined then they
> must be deduced.
>
> Religion, on the other hand, will be different, like it is here.
>
> Bob Hansen

You misunderstand. The *conclusions* will be approximately the same. But
there is no fundamental requirement that, say, Newtonian physics must
begin with the statement of Newton's Laws. To give a simple example from
mathematics, there are different sets of axioms that lead to Euclidean
geometry. Are you quite certain that there is only one way to explain
what explained?

And you are ignoring altogether the possibility that an alien physics may
be based on insights that are deeper than ours. Are you quite certain that
no alien physics can have successfully combined our Relativity and Quantum
Mechanics to resolve what we see as their differences?

You seem fixed on the notion that *you* have the right answers and nobody
else possibly could.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14