Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

kirby urner

att1.html (2.3 K)

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 1:50 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

> > When and if ever we visit another civilization, the physics will look
> the same.
>
> Well, unless we are visiting a civilization in one of those multiverses,
> then it won't be the same. But our rocket ship, and everything inside it,
> will have ceased to exist as soon as we enter the multiverse, so this
> doesn't count.:)
>
> These elements, force, momentum, velocity, acceleration, etc, are
> invariant in the context of this question. Meaning, any understanding of
> physics at the same level of ours can't happen without them. If that is
> true, then they cannot be imagined. If they cannot be imagined then they
> must be deduced.

I would say these concepts have been far from invariant in just the last
100 years, let alone 1000.

If one human population on a tiny planet is still evolving its concepts,
then who's to say what those concepts even are? We don't have universal
agreement.

For example "acceleration owing to the gravitational force" has been
replaced with "following a geodesic or least action world line within a
bent time/space continuum".

That newer way of talking / modeling / expressing in mathematics has
imparted new spin to "gravity" "force" and "acceleration" -- all since
1900. So many other concepts have changed in tandem.

Human belief systems are still in flux. There is no "settled science" just
some belief systems have a longer half life than others.

Kirby

> Religion, on the other hand, will be different, like it is here.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14