Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

kirby urner

att1.html (2.9 K)

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 1:35 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The laws of physics aren't deduced. They're imagined and tested
> deductively, but they aren't deduced. Nor is there any reason to believe
> that there's a unique way to formulate them---only that we've only imagined
> one way.
>
> I explained in the thread how they are deduced. The same way the elements
> of mathematics are deduced. I am seeing a remarkable pattern of not much
> thinking about thinking here. My only fault seems to be that I assumed most
> academics thought about these things. Obviously, I was wrong.
>
> Oh, and yeah, there is a unique way. Of course you would have to
> understand that they are not imagined to understand that. When and if ever
> we visit another civilization, the physics will look the same. So will the
> math. The language will be different though. And decimal numbers might not
> be in vogue. But the rest will all be there, including zero and one.

I would say our concept of "zero" and "one" has been far from static
through time and no all ethnicities share precisely the same meanings.

My ethnicity is informed by abstract algebra such that any element playing
the role of "identity" vis-a-vis an operation we call "multiplication" is a
good candidate for the name "one". Like when functions compose via the
multiplication operator, such that f(g(x)) == (f * g)(x), then the identity
function would be our "one" (Python4, Lesson1, Project 1).
Composable(lambda x: x) would be "one" in this algebra of composing
functions.

Having abstract algebra colors my "one" (imparts a spin) that I wouldn't
necessarily have if I got my "one" just from Sesame Street and US-published
CS-unfriendly algebra texts, which are far less sophisticated. We call it
"algebra" but don't teach about identity elements with respect to addition
and multiplication very effectively.

All the group theory tends to come *after* calculus in the ambient
idiocracy (milieu) which is ass-backwards and symptomatic of
math-teaching's backwardness, a leading cause of declining living
standards, per my belief system / attitude / bias.

Kirby

> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14