Topic: saving strings in a for loop
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 20, 2014 5:11 PM

Curious

Re: saving strings in a for loop

"Stephen " <skersten1112@gmail.com> wrote in message <lgfgph$4ee$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I'm working on a problem in which I have written a script to extract the first letter of each word in a sentence. These collected letters form a new word. I have ten sentences (and therefore ten words that I need to save to make a new sentence). I put a for loop around the extraction script, but I can't figure out how to save the word decoded from each sentence. my variable 'word' is simply overwritten every time I go through the loop.
>
> %a-j are the individual sentences
> % What I've done is write the sentences, and concatenate them into a matrix. I look for spaces in each row (sentence) and concatenate the first letter and every letter following a space to form 'word.'
>
> I want to save each word in an array and print it out so it reads like a sentence.
>
> z=char (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j)
>
> [r,c]=size(z);
> for n=1:r;
> x=deblank(z(n,:));
> s=find(x==' ');
> word = [x(1), x(s+1)]
> end

I don't know how the above code matches your description, but yes you are overwritting "word" each time through the loop. You might try changing:

word = [x(1), x(s+1)]

to something like:

word{n} = [x(1), x(s+1)] % this makes word a cell array

or

word = [word x(1), x(s+1)] % this appends whatever to word