Topic: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Replies: 30   Last Post: Mar 23, 2014 2:41 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers

On Friday, 21 March 2014 01:08:38 UTC+1, Virgil wrote:
> In article <4bJWu.19896$x%2.3254@fx02.iad>,
>
> "Dan Christensen" <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> > Then let us know whether pi is a natural number - from the Peano axioms
>
> > which, according to you, "fully capture the common intuition of the natural
>
> > numbers".
>

> First give us your definition of pi.

It is the circumference of an ideal circle divided by its diameter.
You can also understand the area of this circle divided by it radius^2 as pi.

> I suspect that your definition will clash with the Peano axioms using
> either 0 or 1 as the non-successor natural and x + 1 as successor of x

That is obviuos. But the modern logicians do not know what +1 means.
Although they know what being equal means for natural numbers, namely containing as many units.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
3/20/14
Read § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
heinrich.schliemann.ii@googlemail.com
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
JT
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
JT
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
JT
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Dan Christensen
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axio
ms of natural numbers
Robin Chapman
3/21/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/21/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/21/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Ralf Bader
[...]
3/22/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/22/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/22/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/22/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/23/14
Read Re: ß 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/23/14
[...]
Brian Q. Hutchings