Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Domenico Rosa posted Mar 20, 2014 5:51 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9415602) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On 16 Mar 2014, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> > Under the title "How Atheism Helped Create the
> > Modern
> > World [Excerpt]", Scientic American has published a
> > thought-provoking excerpt from a book "Imagine
> > There's No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the
> > Modern World", by Mitchell Stephens. Very much

> worth
> > the reading, in my opinion.
>
> You may be interested in the Epicurean philosopher
> Lucretius, as updated in
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Swerve-How-World-Became-Modern/d
> p/0393343405/
>
> BOOK DESCRIPTION: One of the world's most celebrated
> scholars, Stephen Greenblatt has crafted both an
> innovative work of history and a thrilling story of
> discovery, in which one manuscript, plucked from a
> thousand years of neglect, changed the course of
> human thought and made possible the world as we know
> it.
>
> Nearly six hundred years ago, a short, genial,
> cannily alert man in his late thirties took a very
> old manuscript off a library shelf, saw with
> excitement what he had discovered, and ordered that
> it be copied. That book was the last surviving
> manuscript of an ancient Roman philosophical epic, On
> the Nature of Things, by Lucretius?a beautiful poem
> of the most dangerous ideas: that the universe
> functioned without the aid of gods, that religious
> fear was damaging to human life, and that matter was
> made up of very small particles in eternal motion,
> colliding and swerving in new directions.
>
> The copying and translation of this ancient book-the
> greatest discovery of the greatest book-hunter of his
> age-fueled the Renaissance, inspiring artists such as
> Botticelli and thinkers such as Giordano Bruno;
> shaped the thought of Galileo and Freud, Darwin and
> Einstein; and had a revolutionary influence on
> writers such as Montaigne and Shakespeare and even
> Thomas Jefferson.

Thank you. I had of course known a little about Lucretius - obviously (when I read the description of Greenblatt's book) far too little than I should be knowing, view my interests and aims. I plan to get hold of the book soonest possible.

GSC

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14