Topic: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Replies: 30   Last Post: Mar 23, 2014 2:41 PM

Virgil

Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers

In article <3d1d2c49-139e-44c8-bc20-c26a52f85a04@googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> On Saturday, 22 March 2014 22:38:51 UTC+1, Virgil wrote:

> > Since "x" and "y" and "f(x) and "f(y)" are merely names, x = y if and
> > only if "x" and "y" are merely different names for the same thing,
> > and f(x) = f(y) if and only if "f(x)" and "f(y)" are merely different
> > names for the same thing.
> >
> > What part of the above does WM not understand?

> If there are only names, how can someone claim that the Peano axioms define
> the natural numbers?

I did not say that there were only names, but that we can only refer to
things by their names. We can also refer to things by physically
pointing at them if both we and they are all physically present within
sight of each other, but that does not happen here.

> And how can a man equipped with a healthy brain accept
> that?

How can a man equipped with a healthy brain reject that?
--

Date Subject Author
3/20/14
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
JT
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
JT
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Dan Christensen
3/20/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axio
ms of natural numbers
Robin Chapman
3/21/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/21/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/21/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Ralf Bader
[...]
3/22/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/22/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/22/14
Read Re: § 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/22/14
Read Re: � 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numbers
Virgil
3/23/14
Read Re: ß 454 Equality and the axioms of natural numb
ers
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/23/14
[...]
Brian Q. Hutchings