Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Structured Programming

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 20, 2014 1:11 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9415456) - GSC's remarks follow:

> R Hansen says:

> >You got to be careful with sayings. They are agenda
> >devices.

> You are right. I'm not promoting communism. I'm
> saying start turning rocks over and you are likely to
> find some ugly things.
> http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/02/vermont
> -heroin-capital-of-america-103280.html
> Blighted areas are the result of changing conditions
> and a rotten status quo. Perhaps in VT the thing that
> changed was simple supply. The status quo may be
> rotten long time. I really don't know. That's what
> scares me though, not baggy shorts.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Attempts to change a "rotten status quo" are usually painted as 'communist insurgency'. This painting is usually done by those benefitting from the rot; often, the existing system does the painting even of those who seek to use 'democratic means' to create needed change.

Here in India, sizable swathes of Indian territory have been afflicted by the newest manifestation of 'communist insurgency' which goes by the term 'maoist insurgency'. All that the local people want is to be able to live their lives in peace. Often, people seeking to bring about change of a "rotten status quo" get caught in the midst of the 'war' between the police and the other security forces combatting the 'insurgents'. All too often, we find that the security forces have been co-opted by the people 'owning' and benefitting from the "rotten status quo" and are being used to prevent any meaningful change.

Earlier, the media used to participate in the 'painting'; nowadays, individuals have successfully used the media to try to bring about needed democratic change.

Change does occur: it often appears that needed change may not come about speedily enough to help those suffering from the rotten status quo.

It is difficult to see who will prevail. 'Changing a system' is always very difficult: it sometimes appears even to be impossible and many give up hope that they could ever succeed in bringing about change. Conventional means succeed very rarely indeed. The 'ruling agenda' generally seeks to maintain the status quo.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
[...]
[...]
[...]