Topic: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 84   Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 5:46 AM

kirby urner

att1.html (2.8 K)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I observe that - in the post launching this thread (dt. Mar 16, 2014 7:58
> PM, http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2623983) - I had omitted
> to provide the link to the Scientific American piece "How Atheism Helped
> Create the Modern World [Excerpt]". Belatedly, I provide it below:
>

> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-atheism-helped-create-the-modern-world-excerpt/
>
> Regret inconvenience caused.
>
> GSC

No inconvenience but another opportunity to fork the discussion.

I notice:

"Newton's ability to leave God entirely out of the first edition of *Principia
Mathematica* greatly helped."

I find it somewhat unusual to have that name collision with
Russell-Whitehead's work of that same title. Usually Newton's is given
either a longer or a shorter moniker (Principia).

There's so much one could say on this topic. Scientific American has a
commitment to uphold its end I suppose one could say.

It's not clear to me that we can safely say "religion has disavowed
science" even if we have specimen religions that have done so.

Nor am I prepared to argue that "science has disavowed religion" as we
would first need a clear definition of religion and that's missing -- so
it's not a science question, so there's no science behind advancing such a
thesis. Reductio ad something.

I acknowledge a tension between those tending to call themselves scientists
and those branding as religious believers. This tension is parochial in
the sense of not global, more "western" than "eastern" to use the
historians' namespace.

Lets remember that some "atheists" have believed in multiple births,
daemonic entities and whatever, just not in some unifying spirit at the
center or apex. They're "atheists" too, in many if not all taxonomies. If
we were talking about operating systems we might say they don't believe in
any monolithic kernel.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/16/14
Read How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/16/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/17/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
[...]
Louis Talman
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/18/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
[...]
3/20/14
[...]
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/22/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Gary Tupper
3/21/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Joe Niederberger
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Robert Hansen
3/19/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Domenico Rosa
3/19/14
[...]
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/23/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/24/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
kirby urner
3/25/14
Read Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
GS Chandy
3/26/14