Topic: Two Finite Arithmetics
Replies: 19   Last Post: Apr 9, 2014 9:27 PM

Dan Christensen

Re: Two Finite Arithmetics

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:47:13 PM UTC-4, William Elliot wrote:

> > > Naive finite arithmetic is not your finite arithmetic.
>
> > > S is a full function to banish the pests of your system.
>
> > Inventing a successor for the maximum number seems a bit weird to me.
>
> It fits much better than not having one.

We have a finite succession of objects with a beginning and an end. The first element, by definition has no predecessor. The last element, by definition has no successor. I'd say your work-around isn't up to spec.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com