Topic: Very simple question
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 9, 2014 4:46 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Very simple question

On 4/9/2014 3:14 AM, Ste[hen Gray wrote:
> I've been away from Mathematica for about 7 years.
> Can anyone tell me why function fx gives an error message but fy does
> not? They look functionally the same to me.
> Please send me an email about this.
>
> fx[ptl_] := Module[{x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3},
> Print[pt1];
> x1 = pt1[[1, 1]]; y1 = pt1[[1, 2]];
> x2 = pt2[[2, 1]]; y2 = pt2[[2, 2]];
> x3 = pt3[[3, 1]]; y3 = pt3[[3, 2]];
> Print[x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3];
> ]
> fx[{{1, 2}, {3, 5}, {4, 7}}]

First problem: the input is "ptl". Then inside the module
you use "pt1".

One uses the lower case letter L, and the second uses the number 1.

The second problem: There is no such thing as "pt2" and "pt3"
anywhere. Where did these come from?

> fy[pt1_] := Module[{zz, x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3},
> zz = pt1;

This one uses "pt1" as input and uses "pt1" inside the module.
So this one is correct.

--Nasser