Topic: complex conjugation by star
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 23, 2014 4:52 AM

Dave Snead

Re: complex conjugation by star

Rob --

This will give you what you want:

SuperStar[f_?NumberQ]:=Conjugate[f]
SuperStar[f:_[___]]:=SuperStar/@f

Cheers,
Dave Snead

-----Original Message-----
From: Brambilla Roberto Luigi (RSE)
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:46 PM
Subject: complex conjugation by star

I have defined the following useful star complex-conjugation (common star
exponent notation)

f_*:=f/.Complex[u_,v_]->Complex[u,-v]

and it works fine. For example BesselJ[2,x+I y]* gives BesselJ[2,x-I y]
etc...(x,y defined/undefined).
Also it is listable on number lists

{1+i2, 5+i6}* gives {1-i2, 5-i6} .

Unfortunately it does not work on symbols, i.e.
A* gives A even if I have defined A as a complex number by means of
Element[A, Complexes].
Similarly if I define Element[{A,B,G}, Complexes]

{A,B,G}* gives {A,B,G} and (A+B+G)* gives A+B+G.

I'd like to obtain {A*,B*,G*} and A*+B*+G* ( ! )

Is it possible to fix this deficiency, unpleasant in manipulating general
expressions where is not known
if symbols represent real or complex variables ?

Many thanks!
Rob

RSE SpA ha adottato il Modello Organizzativo ai sensi del D.Lgs.231/2001,
inforza del quale l'assunzione di obbligazioni da parte della Societ=E0
avviene con firma di un procuratore, munito di idonei poteri.
RSE adopts a Compliance Programme under the Italian Law (D.Lgs.231/2001).
According to this RSE Compliance Programme, any commitment of RSE is taken
by the signature of one Representative granted by a proper Power of
Attorney. Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica
sono riservate e confidenziali e ne e' vietata la diffusione in qualsiasi
modo o forma. Qualora Lei non fosse la persona destinataria del presente
messaggio, Lainvitiamo a non diffonderlo e ad eliminarlo, dandone
gentilmente comunicazione al mittente. The information included in this
e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If
you are not the correct recipient, you are kindly requested to notify the
sender immediately, to cancel it and not to disclose the contents to any
other person.