Topic: complex conjugation by star
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 23, 2014 4:52 AM

Bob Hanlon

Re: complex conjugation by star

See documentation for Conjugate.

To see traditional star notation, use TraditionalForm preference:
Traditional Form (Mathematica | Preferences... | Evaluation | Format type
of new output cells: | TraditionalForm)

Clear[conjugate]

conjugate[expr_, complexExpand_: False] :=
Module[{expr2 = Conjugate /@ expr},
If[complexExpand,
Simplify[expr2,
Element[Cases[expr, _Symbol, Infinity], Reals]],
expr2]]

BesselJ[2, x + I y] // Conjugate

Conjugate[BesselJ[2, x + I y]]

BesselJ[2, x + I y] // conjugate

BesselJ[2, Conjugate[x] - I Conjugate[y]]

BesselJ[2, x + I y] // conjugate[#, True] &

BesselJ[2, x - I y]

A B C // Conjugate

Conjugate[A B C]

A B C // conjugate

Conjugate[A] Conjugate[B] Conjugate[C]

A + B + C // Conjugate

Conjugate[A + B + C]

A + B + C // conjugate

Conjugate[A] + Conjugate[B] + Conjugate[C]

Bob Hanlon