Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Apr 28, 2014 7:47 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9450070):

> On Apr 27, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > This post is the speech that Meyer delivered to new
> > math teachers in San Francisco. I think the teachers
> > who read these posts will enjoy it and the comments,
> > too.
> >

> http://blog.mrmeyer.com/2014/speaking-to-new-teachers-
> at-their-graduation/

> > Richard

> I read that earlier (I still get his emails). That is
> an entirely TEACHER-CENTRIC view of teaching and is
> the result of not having a calling to teach. In other
> words, one doesn?t know what teaching is, they just
> chose the profession from a list. You can do that
> with teaching today because of the politics of
> education.
>
> Bob Hansen

The claim made by RH that

> "That is an entirely TEACHER-CENTRIC view of teaching
> and is the result of not having a calling to teach"

appears, to me, to be unjustified.

In the posting referred to, Dan Meyer states the following:
http://blog.mrmeyer.com/2014/speaking-to-new-teachers-at-their-graduation/
QUOTE
>>I'll quote the first from someone I met a few weeks ago >>in New Orleans. He said to me, "Your first year >>teaching is about growing as a teacher, sure, but it's >>mainly about getting to know yourself." That's wise. >>You go through life looking for mirrors. Literal >>mirrors at first and then figurative mirrors. Surfaces >>that reflect at different angles revealing more and >>more about your appearance and your character. At a >>certain point, a lot of us try to position those >>mirrors so that they reflect back only our best angles. >>The most valuable people in my life refuse to let me >>position them. My best friends notify me of my worst >>angles and refuse to accept them.

>>That's what your students will do for you. They'll >>reflect back at you the spot on your chin you missed >>with the razor. They'll ...
UNQUOTE

In particular, please check out the first sentence in the 2nd para of the quotation above.

I am not suggesting anything about Dan Meyer's "calling to teach". He may (or may not) have that. The fact that he's continuingly published his blog for quite some time now, despite a fair amount of 'scorn and contumely' hurled at him by at least one of his critics here at Math-teach, does indicate to me that he is quite passionate about his 'calling to teach' (or at least, about his 'calling to blog about teaching [math]').

I'm pretty sure Mr Meyer could do much better as a teacher (and, probably, as a 'writer of a blog aimed at [math] teachers'). As could we all in whatever we are doing in all walks of life - whether we're supporting Dan Meyer in his 'calling' or criticising him for it.

That's not the issue here.

I'm suggesting ONLY that the posting does NOT, in fact, reveal, as RH wrongly claims it does, an "entirely TEACHER-CENTRIC view of teaching". The rest of RH's posting makes little or no sense - except that it has allowed Mr Hansen to "have his say" (be it sensible or be it otherwise). This is RH's inalienable right in a 'democracy'.

I do however observe that Dan Meyer appears not to subscribe to the regressive, repressive and extremely dangerous 'educational philosophy' to which RH subscribes, namely:

"Children must be PUSHED (or GOADED) to learn math!" (and doubtless everything else).

It is this 'educational philosophy' that is, in fact, founded on an "entirely TEACHER-CENTRIC view of teaching"!

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
[...]
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14