Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Richard Strausz posted Apr 28, 2014 8:26 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9450262) - GSC's remarks follow:

> > On Apr 27, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Richard Strausz
> > <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> >

> > > This post is the speech that Meyer delivered to
> >>new
> >> math teachers in San Francisco. I think the
> >>teachers
> >> who read these posts will enjoy it and the
> >>comments, too.
> > >

> http://blog.mrmeyer.com/2014/speaking-to-new-teachers-
> > at-their-graduation/
> > >
> > > Richard

> > I read that earlier (I still get his emails). That
> > is an entirely TEACHER-CENTRIC view of teaching and is
> > the result of not having a calling to teach. In
> > other
> > words, one doesn?t know what teaching is, they just
> > chose the profession from a list. You can do that
> > with teaching today because of the politics of
> > education.
> >
> > Bob Hansen

> I read it again, and I disagree with your take that
> it is 'entirely teacher-centric'. I guess we'll have
> to see if any readers who are actually K-12 teachers
> have an opinion.
>
> Richard

I am not a 'formal teacher of math' at any level. However, I too completely disagree with Robert Hansen's judgment that the Dan Meyer blog is "ENTIRELY TEACHER-CENTRIC".

A post of mine has just appeared to the effect that it is, in fact, Robert Hansen's regressive, repressive and extremely dangerous 'educational philosophy'** that is "ENTIRELY TEACHER-CENTRIC" - see post dt. Apr 28, 2014 9:53 AM, http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?messageID=9450263?.

**The Robert Hansen 'educational philosophy':

"Children must be PUSHED (or GOADED) to learn math!" (and presumably everything else).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
[...]
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14