Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Apr 28, 2014 7:08 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9450330) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Apr 28, 2014, at 9:19 AM, GS Chandy
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I do clearly recall your having firmly and
> >unequivocally stated that children must be PUSHED (or
> >even GOADED) to learn math. I'm sure other readers
> >here would recall that as well.

> I said encouraged and/or pushed. It depends on the
> student. And this applies to minors (not adults). I
> have pointed this out to you a number of times.
>
> Bob Hansen

The emphasis you had put on PUSHING (and/or GOADING) versus "ENCOURAGEMENT" was rather different from the spin you are now attempting to put on it.

Check out, for instance, yours of Jun 21, 2013 2:10 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&threadID=2572670&messageID=9141864#9141864), where you make it clear that, in your opinion,

>> (RH): Also note the difference between actually
>> teaching and
>> raising children versus hypothecating about it. As I
>> originally said, the majority of success that we do
>> have is due to parents pushing their children. That
>> can include everything from encouragement to raised
>> voices and tears. Oh, the horror.

I really don't have the time or inclination to go hunting through Math-teach for further examples of 'Robert Hansen spin'. As implied in my last, if you are now giving 2nd and 3rd position to "PUSHING" and "GOADING" and 1st postion to "ENCOURAGEMENT", that is, at least, some improvement.

But I also do recall that when you suggested it would even be necessary to GOAD children to learn math, I had provided illustrations of a goad to demonstrate, as you say, "the horror" of this 'educational philosophy' of yours (now disavowed).

We have seen enough and more of your propensity to 'spin' with your fairy tales that "OPMS is just list-making and nothing else!"

Oh, "the horror", indeed.

As your 'genius' Haim might have told us:

"Je me souviens".

GSC

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
[...]
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14