Topic: Help Needed in math
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 2, 2014 6:01 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Help Needed in math

quasi wrote:
> punisher wrote:
>>
>> Can someone help me solve this
>>
>> Find the largest values of the integer a for which ax^2-5x-3 is
>> negative for all values of x.

> Is it homework?
>
> I'll give a few hints:
>
> (1) Can the required value of a be positive? Can it be zero?
>
> (2) Can you find the vertex coordinates in terms of a?
>
> (3) As an alternative to (2), find the discriminant in
> terms of a. How can it help?
>
> quasi

A more general hint: if it's homework then there is a good chance that
what was done most recently in the classroom or read most recently in
the textbook will be relevant. So if one is stumped by a homework
question look first at what was (supposed to be) most recently learned.

(Mind you, if I were a teacher I'd always throw in a few homework
questions relevant to what I taught six months previously...)

--
...if someone seduced my daughter it would be damaging and horrifying
but not fatal. She would recover, marry and have lots of children...