Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

Richard Strausz

> On May 2, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > ...and here is one which motivates the study of
> 'expected value' which some of the commenters think
> can be approached starting in upper elementary
> school.

> http://blog.mrmeyer.com/2014/confab-money-duck/#commen
> ts

> > As Wayne Bishop often remarks, 'religion' keeps

> many people from seeing things in a new light.
> >
> > Richard

> Can you list the comments you are speaking to? The
> majority seem to relish the idea of having a debate
> in class rather than teaching math. This is where I
> feel that teachers should have real jobs for 5 years
> at least, and then teach. I think most of the problem
> with these teachers is that they have never done
> anything real themselves, thus the constant search
> for real.
>
> Bob Hansen

Could someone have a debate and also teach math? Might a debate on a topic students care about motivate related math learning? Just askin'

As to your question, I think you use 'majority' loosely. I thought the most notable commenters were #s 6, 12, 19 (3rd grade), 20, 23, 28.

Richard

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14