Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

Richard Strausz

> On May 3, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > Now that I have a little time this afternoon, I
> thought I'd respond further. Check out response #28,
> duplicated below. I judge the teacher to be a
> high-powered instructor who finds value in this idea.

> > Richard
> > - -------
> > They have some more regular shaped bars available

> online as well. I would want to explore the rate of
> decay of the soap (more consistent with a regular
> shaped bar than a duck) compared to its size. Take
> regular measurements after a week of use, graph, fit
> appropriate trend and extrapolate to see how long
> until the money is reached. Could look at how it
> varies with the shape of the bar (ie duck vs a
> prism). Students would need to make several
> assumptions/simplifications which would need to be
> made to make the problem do-able.

> > I do a similar exercise with my year 11?s where we
> look at the rate of decay of a Jawbreaker/All Day
> Sucker, stating hypothesis(relationships between
> dimensions and rate of decay), measuring its
> dimensions every 2 minutes, graphing, fitting trend
> lines, using derivatives and graphs to test our
> hypothesis, stating assumptions and their effects. We
> also extrapolate our models to see how big an all day
> sucker would need to be to in fact last ?all day?.
>

> Measuring and graphing? Mathematics is not busy work,
> nor is it procedure. Either you do not understand
> what mathematics is or you understand what it is but
> refuse to teach it. Which is it Richard? I am baffled
> that you find the busy work above ?high powered??
>
> I stand by my analysis. What you are portraying here
> is a wholesale abandonment of the teaching of
> mathematics. I am more than aware of the challenge
> your students face but that doesn?t make this busy
> work mathematics just because, even if you have
> correctly surmised that they cannot or do not want to
> learn mathematics.
>
> Hypothetically speaking, suppose I am a parent of one
> of your students and the student, who is allegedly
> taking or has taken algebra, brings this type of work
> home, what would be your reply to me when I approach
> you and point out the lack of mathematics in this
> exercise? What if I point out that the other algebra
> classes are doing actual algebra? What do you tell
> these parents? Does this ever come up? Some parents
> must be aware that this algebra is nothing like the
> other algebra. I am curious what you say to those
> parents.
>
> Bob Hansen

Instead of getting a hypothetical from me, why not ask your question of the teacher who posted the comment or of Meyer who posted the original scenario?

Richard

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14