Topic: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 68   Last Post: May 14, 2014 2:48 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted May 5, 2014 5:55 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9455638) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On May 5, 2014, at 4:09 AM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > Other posters to Math Teach, including GS and
> >Kirby, seem to have endless patience in having the
> >same discussion with you over and over. I have tried
> >more than once, and I lack that patience.
> >
> > I'll give you the last word on this topic if you'd
> >like, but I'll reserve the right to write about other
> >activities that motivate learning.

> Huh? There wasn?t any last word, I asked a simple
> question. Go ahead and write about activities that
> motivate learning. I?ll be right here to ask ?where?s
> the learning?? and ?what is being learned??
>
> Bob Hansen

Here are links to a few pretty sound views on "activities that 'could help' motivate learning" (my 'reservations' explained below).

- -- "5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project" - http://learningfundamentals.com.au/blog/5-ways-to-motivate-yourself-to-study-a-boring-subject-andor-complete-a-project/

- -- "What motivates and demotivates learners?", Kazuya Sawada - http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/fl/publication/pdf_forum/3/105sawada.pdf

- -- "Motivating Students" - http://teach.com/what/teachers-change-lives/teachers-motivate

There is plenty more good information available about how to motivate people to learn. However, that information available at the web and (I have no doubt) at the various 'schools of education', etc, are obviously not quite 'sufficient'. (If we may judge by the number of demotivated students we see around us).

My reservations:

The above represent good - but, in my opinion, rather too 'general' (and generally somewhat superficial) - pieces of advice.

In real life, EACH student has his/her own difficulties in learning. Some of the difficulties that some students may encounter involve 'bad learning situations outside school', and so on. Many of these do present huge difficulties that need to be overcome. But those 'individual difficulties' DO have to be overcome - individually.

EACH teacher encounters his/her own difficulties in effectively motivating his/her specific groups of students to learn. It's not at all easy task to accomplish.

(I am entirely sure that the above teaching job is something I am not able to do myself. I have watched, with admiration, several teachers do this in real-life situations [see below]. Well, that is at least one of the reasons why I didn't go into the teaching profession myself).

My recommendation is that EACH teacher and EACH student should *integrate* the best knowledge and advice that's available, and then create his/her own action planning respectively:

- -- "To motivate my students to learn effectively" (A). This has to be done by EVERY teacher, and for the specific needs of each student. (This is entirely feasible to do).

- -- "To motivate myself to learn" (B)
This has to be done by EACH student, for him-/her-self respectively.

If 'A' is done effectively, then the students are likely to PUSH themselves (and even, perhaps, to GOAD themselves) to overcome the many difficulties and barriers they will surely encounter while they individually engage themselves in trying to accomplish 'B'.

I know that at one stage of my school career, I was utterly bored by the things I had to learn: I was fortunate enough to encounter an outstanding teacher who convinced me that I could find plenty of interesting things to learn. Once he convinced me of this simple truth, I then found plenty of interest in learning how to overcome the boredom I was encountering.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
4/18/14
Read To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/18/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/19/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/22/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Joe Niederberger
4/22/14
[...]
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
4/27/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
4/28/14
[...]
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/2/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/3/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/4/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer
Bishop, Wayne
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/5/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/7/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
GS Chandy
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Richard Strausz
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Louis Talman
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/13/14
Read Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Robert Hansen
5/14/14