Topic: Multiple files into Matlab from Excel
Replies: 15   Last Post: May 9, 2014 2:06 AM

Michelle

Re: Multiple files into Matlab from Excel

"Steven Lord" <Steven_Lord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <lkanhn$18f$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> "Michelle " <mictom@kth.se> wrote in message

> > "Steven Lord" <Steven_Lord@mathworks.com> wrote in message
> > <lk86dd$5pb$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> *snip*
>

> > Hi,
> > thanks so much for the help, but I do not understand what you mean by ">
> > Again, why? While it is possible to mix cell arrays and struct arrays,
> > that

> >> can get complicated really quickly. I recommend you stick with using cell
> >> arrays alone."

> You already have the data from your source files; you read them into the
> cells of a.

> This line is IMO unnecessary.

> In my experience, newer users find it (relatively) easy to understand plain
> old numeric arrays. Struct arrays aren't much more difficult, at least
> scalar struct arrays. Cell arrays represent a significant step up in
> difficulty of understanding, mainly because of the two different types of
> indexing that look very similar but behave differently enough. A cell array
> containing a struct array is even further up the learning curve. Since you
> don't actually NEED to use a cell array containing a struct array (in that
> you already have the data you would access that way in another form) I
> recommend that you NOT use such a construct unless that requirement is being
> imposed upon you (by your professor, if this is a homework or school lab
> assignment; by the requirements of code that your code will call, if you
> can't modify the downstream code; etc.)
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> http://www.mathworks.com

Hi,

Thanks, the only thing I need for my project is to read in all the different excel files to matlab and sort them under so I can know what file is which array. Then I will need to sort out a range of them, that I can do. It is the first part of sorting all data so I know the different file is to what data in Matlab.

Michelle