Topic: unique ordering
Replies: 9   Last Post: May 10, 2014 1:16 PM

G. A. Edgar

Re: unique ordering

In article <0acdace5-c53a-4ca4-a474-200d90f2ef4f@googlegroups.com>,
<radams2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thought experiment:
>
> Lets say that I randomly draw N letters out of a Scrabble letter-bag. I will
> then place those letters in a horizontal line on a table. How many UNIQUE
> patterns of letters can I produce? If there were no duplicates it would be
> easy (N factorial) but when there are duplicate letters it seems more
> complicated.
>
> Bob

Are you thinking of actual Scrabble? Some letters have duplicates, and
other don't? And the number of duplicates varies on how
frequently-used the letter is?

Or is this a mathematical Scrabble: Every letter has an unlimited
supply, and the probability of drawing an E doesn't depend on whether
some E's have already been drawn.

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/