Topic: unique ordering
Replies: 9   Last Post: May 10, 2014 1:16 PM

scattered

Re: unique ordering

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:07:55 AM UTC-4, G. A. Edgar wrote:
> In article <0acdace5-c53a-4ca4-a474-200d90f2ef4f@googlegroups.com>,
>
> <radams2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Thought experiment:
>

> > Lets say that I randomly draw N letters out of a Scrabble letter-bag. I will
>
> > then place those letters in a horizontal line on a table. How many UNIQUE
>
> > patterns of letters can I produce? If there were no duplicates it would be
>
> > easy (N factorial) but when there are duplicate letters it seems more
>
> > complicated.
>

> > Bob
>

> Are you thinking of actual Scrabble? Some letters have duplicates, and
>
> other don't? And the number of duplicates varies on how
>
> frequently-used the letter is?
>

> Or is this a mathematical Scrabble: Every letter has an unlimited
>
> supply, and the probability of drawing an E doesn't depend on whether
>
> some E's have already been drawn.
>

> --
>
> G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/

I took OP as asking about actual scrabble. The mathematical scrabble question
that you alluded to is also quite interesting.

Professor Edgar, I find it an honor sharing a thread with you. 20+ years ago when I was writing my dissertation two of your early papers were quite helpful. The papers were:

"The class of topological spaces is equationally definable"

and

"A cartesian closed category for topology"

So -- thanks!

-scattered