The Math Forum

Topic: trapezoid clarification
Replies: 55   Last Post: Apr 24, 2017 2:30 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: trapezoid clarification
att1.html (7.0 K)

I'm sorry, I'd be curious which.

I don't have the biggest collection at home, but
Michael Serra's Discovering Geometry - no
Dressler (several books, from the early 70s to today, mostly cut and past
from each other) no
Jacobs Geometry (cool book) no
Jurgenson Brown Jurgenson (McDougal Littel) traditional, - no
Unified mathematics (Houghton Mifflin, 1981, out of use - no
Weeks and Adkins 1961 - no
World Book Modern School Geometry 1938 - no
and two late 19th century American volumes
Solid Geometry (Wentworth, 1899) and
Bradbury's Elementary Geometry 1872 - no and no.

So yes, I would be curious what American text uses the inclusive definition.

Jonathan Halabi
the Bronx

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Eleanor Pupko <epupko2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some texts use this definition.
>
> Eleanor
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 17, 2014, at 8:51 AM, "Jonathan" <jd2718@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With all due respect Meg, I do not believe there is anywhere in the US
> where this
> "Although this might be a surprise to NYS teachers who have used the
> exclusive definition, this is a common definition for trapezoid."
> is true.
>
> It might be a better convention, but in this country, it has never before
> been ours.
>
> I am quite disappointed that AMTNYS transmitted this information, and did
> not lead a campaign to challenge it.
>
> Jonathan Halabi
> the Bronx
>

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Meg Clemens <mclemens@twcny.rr.com>wrote:
>

>> At training in Albany this past week, NYSED released a standards
>> clarification document for Geometry that states (among other items) that a
>> trapezoid is now defined with the ?inclusion? definition: a trapezoid has
>> at least one pair of parallel sides. Although this might be a surprise to
>> NYS teachers who have used the exclusive definition, this is a common
>> definition for trapezoid.
>>

>> Three questions:
>>

>> 1. Is this standards clarification memo posted on engageny
>> anywhere yet? I couldn?t find it.
>>

>> 2. How do we treat conflicting definitions next year when we are
>> preparing students for both regents?
>>

>> 3. With the new definition, what is an isosceles trapezoid? I
>> think we need clarification on this.
>>

>> a. If I use trapezoid w/ one pair of opposite sides congruent,
>> then a parallelogram is an isosceles trapezoid but its base angles are not
>> congruent.
>>
>> b. If I use trapezoid w/ one pair of opposite sides congruent and
>> base angles are congruent, then rectangles and squares are isosceles
>> trapezoids, which might be OK.
>>
>> c. There is an alternative definition that uses one axis of
>> symmetry and one w/ no symmetry to yield the usual depiction of an
>> isosceles trapezoid.
>>

>> Meg Clemens
>>
>> Canton Central School

Date Subject Author