Topic: Math for Quantum Computers and Beyond ??
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 3, 2014 11:40 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Math for Quantum Computers and Beyond ??

Joe N. posted May 30, 2014 12:47 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9475092):

> >Instead of focusing on how to build a quantum
> >computer, which is actually a question of physics and
> >engineering, you should concentrate on the types of
> >math problems a quantum computer could solve.

> Good idea, esp. considering you don't already know
> the answer.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

!!!

But consider: Robert Hansen probably has ALL the answers!

However, to treat Jackson Trent's query with the seriousness it deserves:

He should for the moment forget all about 'quantum computers' as the field is still in rather initial stages of conceptualisation: even the 'experts' know rather little about it (unless, of course, Mr Hansen cares to show us a bit more of his 'expertise'). Of course, Mr
Trent should keep his goal (of doing something in quantum computing) constantly in the back of his mind.

As Wayne Bishop (WB) had suggested elsewhere, Mr Trent should seek to learn something (as much as possible) about what has gone before, specifically about 'normal computing': there is PLENTY to learn!

If after that he has the inclination (and energy), he might also learn about quantum physics and the underlying math. He will then be in a good position to seek to understand 'quantum computing' when he's adequately knowledgeable about the 'background disciplines'.

The above background study might take him a year or two if he designs his course of study effectively. (It would always be useful if he could get himself advice from a couple of experts, one in normal computing, the other in quantum physics: this would probably save him much misdirected effort).

As you had then observed in response to WB, there is the question of retaining a sound 'working focus' [so that one doesn't get overwhelmed by the vastness of the field(s) of study].

The 'One Page Management System' (OPMS), about which I often write, is I claim THE ideal tool to develop, enable and ensure a 'sound focus' with respect to Mr Trent's underlying objectives, whatever they may be, whatever may be his abilities to enter into the field of 'quantum computing' (QC). OPMS would also help Mr Trent to design for himself an appropriate course of formal study that could over time lead him to a deeper understanding of QC.

I had at one stage sought to find out a bit about QC for myself (just idle curiosity) - and found there is plenty of interesting (occasionally somewhat incomprehensible) material available. For Mr Trent's interest, I list below what I am able to locate readily:

- -- "Quantum Computer" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

- -- "Quantum Turing Machine" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Turing_machine

- -- "Church-Turing thesis" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church%E2%80%93Turing_thesis

- -- "Quantum computing - how D-Wave Systems work" - http://www.dwavesys.com/quantum-computing (There's an 'informative' video here - one of the things I found to be not so easily comprehensible: but that is probably more on account of my inadequate Internet connection here). However, I understand the people behind D-Wave Systems are probably the furthest along on the journey towards real QC - or at least so they claim.

- -- "How Quantum Computers Work" - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm - this is an article in the "How Stuff Works" series, and I found this to be a pretty good 'first introduction' to QC - after this I found the Wikipedia references much easier to understand.

If I happen to do any more study into the field, I can post references here in case Mr Trent retains his interest in this very challenging field.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy