Topic: Math for Quantum Computers and Beyond ??
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 3, 2014 11:40 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Math for Quantum Computers and Beyond ??

Joe N. posted Jun 3, 2014 10:12 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9478163):

> GS Chandy says:

> >He should for the moment forget all about 'quantum
> computers' as the field is still in rather initial
> stages of conceptualisation:
>
> I don't think that's the case at all. He should
> pursue what he thinks is interesting right now. That
> being said, pursuit starts with reading some quality
> articles about the subject, which clearly he hasn't
> really done in earnest. Internet forums are not the
> place to start. he may find out that he is quickly in
> over his head, which is the universe inviting him to
> back up a bit. Exactly where he backs up to (if at
> all) is part of the fun of pursuing things on one's
> own.
>
> That being said, I had a nice book that explained the
> Schor Algorithm in easy stages, suitable for a
> beginner.
> I can't remember the title however. I see now that
> the field (in books at least) is very crowded. Its
> probably a lot harder to separate the wheat from the
> chaff. Isn't that what library's and librarian's were
> for? (Back in the stone ages before we all became so
> smart.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Agreed. Not a very well thought-out idea from my side.

Another error from me - not a devastating one - was that Jackson Trent was actually asking about doing an essay for his teacher with a view to getting a recommendation - and I treated it as though he needed to work out a plan to 'do something' in quantum computing.

Well, he can still use at least some of the background material pointed to for his essay.

As you imply, the greatest difficulty he will face will probably be of 'separating the wheat from the chaff'.

Well, careful application of his own good sense - along with sound advice from his teachers, librarian, etc - should help. I would guess that the OPMS, which I usually suggest for problem solving of all kinds, may well take too much time and trouble to apply for the purposes of his essay.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy