The Math Forum

Topic: trapezoid clarification
Replies: 55   Last Post: Apr 24, 2017 2:30 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: trapezoid clarification
att1.html (8.7 K)

"Isosceles" means "equal legs" -
If a trapezoid has exactly one pair of parallel sides, then an "isosceles
trapezoid" has the non-parallel bases equal. As a consequence, base angles
are equal.

"Base angles are equal" is a consequence of using a particular definition
of a trapezoid. NY State is no longer using that definition.

Jonathan Halabi
the Bronx

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM, Elaine Zseller <EZseller@nasboces.org>
wrote:

> All rhombuses are not isosceles trapezoids. Isosceles trapezoids have
> their base angles congruent. Only the rhombus known as a square fits that
> definition.

Date Subject Author
5/17/14
Read trapezoid clarification