Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

I agree with Chesloff completely assuming he means competent
computational skills through ordinary fractions, decimals, and
percent with straightforward, sensible word problems using
these. That is what the "understanding" at that level is supposed to
be, not the silly pictures of multiplication and such as pushed by
the implementers of the CCSS. Blinding speed and floss accuracy is
NOT necessary for use or for development of appropriate
self-confidence but competent speed and competent accuracy is
essential and that is a step-by-step process. For example, ordinary
fraction arithmetic requires competent national number arithmetic
competence, not the ability to discuss the whys and wherefores of the
commutativr, associative, and distributive laws, just use them
appropriately when the situation calls for it. Regarding the kind of
word problems I have in mind, both the Singapore Primary Series and
Saxon Math are excellent examples which explains part of why these
curricula are so popular with homeschoolers and so unpopular with the
received wisdom of professional mathematics education
"experts". This is not just for "mathy" students going into STEM
careers; competence in less glorified trade careers also need the same start.

One of the things that works against competence and self-confidence
in mathematics (as for reading and language composition) is our
ungodly level of social promotion. Nothing kills self-confidence as
much as expecting kids to do stuff for which are not prepared and, at
the other extreme, nothing kills interest and excitement as much as
repeating boring stuff ad infinitum instead of challenging prepared
students appropriately.

Wayne

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author