Topic: From the Notices of the AMS
Replies: 71   Last Post: Jun 23, 2014 3:56 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: From the Notices of the AMS

Wayne Bishop posted Jun 15, 2014 7:54 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9487160) - GSC's remarks follow:

> Already violating my own usual solution to these
> rants <delete>:
>
> At 03:06 PM 6/14/2014, GS Chandy wrote:

> >I do claim that Liping Ma has rather incoherently
> put forth her
> >arguments for adopting the 'coherent' Chinese
> approach on elementary
> >math education!
>
> Some of us have been in contact with this clear
> mathematics educator
> from Square 1: For example, she sent me her first
> book while still in
> page-proof form and not yet available.
> She was an excellent teacher of teachers in her
> native China who was
> sponsored to come to the US to become an expert so
> entered the
> Masters in Math Education program at Michigan State.
> To her horror,
> most of her fellow candidates were not even
> computationally competent
> at the arithmetic of ordinary fractions level much
> less having the
> ability to put such problems in the important context
> of
> straightforward, everyday word problems. Far better
> a degree in
> engineering, or some such, never having taken a
> mathematics education
> class (as was the case with my daughter's 7th and 8th
> grade
> pre-algebra and algebra (at a Saxon Math school).
>
> Wayne

Wayne Bishop argues in some dudgeon about:

- -- the excellence of Liping Ma's book, which was sent to Professor Bishop in draft form, before it was published;

- -- Liping Ma's excellence as a "teacher of teachers in her native China";

- -- her superior abilities at computation (as compared with teachers in the US);

- -- and much other stuff of that nature.

I observe that I had not questioned or doubted ANY of the above!!

I HAD suggested that Liping Ma's arguments (pro the Chinese system of elementary school math education and critiquing the US system) - as put forth in her 'Notice to the AMS' - had not been made very coherently. I re-iterate that.

Perhaps Professor Bishop might try to read and CORRECTLY understand what has actually been written, and why, before he gets up onto his high horse. Climbing thus needlessly up onto high horses is wasted effort (IMHO).

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
6/2/14
[...]