Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Joe N. posted Jun 14, 2014 9:23 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9486835):

> Just a discussion starter:
> http://anniemurphypaul.com/2013/06/why-do-so-many-of-u
> s-hate-math/#
>
> I'll quickly add that if one just googles this topic,
> you will find many many answers, almost all of which
> have some ring of truth about them. An obvious
> question is therefore, what, if anything, can be done
> to improve people's opinion of math (or at least
> their experience of it,) and would such remediation
> have any wider benefits for society?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Thanks for the useful links to Annie Murphy Paul's blog, which, with the 'Reader Comments', justifies your comment suggesting that everyone (or almost everyone) would have some useful idea(s) about why 'everyone' seems to hate math, and almost everyone - at least those who've not been turned off entirely - would have some useful ideas about what could be done to minimise the 'fear and loathing' that most of us have for math. I strongly suggest that all Math-teach participants would find it well worth their while to read Ms Paul's blog post as well as the 30-odd Reader Comments.

I claim that the couple of useful ideas expressed by Ms Paul - along with the many useful ideas* expressed by her readers - actually provide us with enough good ideas to initiate an Action Plan "To overcome the 'fear and loathing' that most people develop for math by the time they complete high school".

In order to check out whether my claim above is justified, I glanced through a number of other sites discussing the issue (as had been suggested by Joe N. in his post starting this thread). Below are links to a few of them. I must confess that I've only glanced at even those sites to which I've provided links. (I must further confess that NONE of those articles or videos really 'connects' with me, as I've always loved math, in all its manifestations).

However, I can definitely and definitively confirm that Joe N.'s surmise to the effect that practically everyone has a piece of the answer readily and correctly available.

-- "Why Do Some People Hate Math So Much?" - http://gizmodo.com/why-do-some-people-hate-math-so-much-1505587337. I note (but am not exactly certain) that 'gizmodo' is the site that showed me clearly how I could easily construct a '... Cube' - which was the structure that enabled my granddaughter, then aged 13 or so, to get over her 'fear and loathing' of math. Gizmodo's blog carries a neat interview with Professor Edward Frenkel on the issue. (Professor Frenkel is a leading mathematician at the University of California, and his website URL is provided below).

-- "The math behind the NSA'S e-mail hacks" - http://gizmodo.com/the-math-behind-the-nsas-email-hacks-1488445051

-- "How NOT to hate math" - http://www.bookrags.com/articles/32.html - I thought there was plenty of good sense here

-- "The I Hate Mathematics Book" - http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Paper-School-book-Mathematics/dp/B0055X54EY#reader_B0055X54EY

-- "Ashutosh Bijoor's Blog" - http://bijoor.me/2014/02/19/why-do-so-many-people-hate-mathematics/ - features an interview (conducted by Ashutosh Bijoor) with Edward Frenkel

-- "Edward Frenkel's Web Pages" featuring links to much cool stuff about math - http://math.berkeley.edu/~frenkel/, plenty of articles, illustrations, videos, etc.

-- "Love and Math", discussing a book by Edward Frenkel, http://www.loveandmathbook.com/

-- "Dear Maths: here are 10 things I hate about you" - http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/10-things-i-hate-about-maths/#KQHEtUufji4OTMUe.97

-- (and a cast of THOUSANDS of others!)

I observe that Robert Hansen and Wayne Bishop have commented, quite usefully, but without articulating how to 'put it all together'.

Alas, no one - including Robert Hansen (RH) and Wayne Bishop - has as yet 'put it all together', despite RH's claim that he has done just that.

I suggest that the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) can help you learn how to 'put it all together', so that - if you get together with enough genuine stakeholders in the 'math education system' - you'd be able soon to develop an effective consensus plan for a Mission like "To reduce very significantly the fear and loathing that most people feel for math". I claim that you could have an effective Action Plan quite solidly developed within a year or so - and you could in fact be 'starting implementation' of your Action Plan within just a few months. In fact, you could start implementation (continuingly refining your Action Plan) just as soon you convince yourself that your own ideas have real value in them, and you learn how to 'link up' those ideas to the real world around you.

The "wider benefits for society" mentioned by Joe N. in his original post will depend ENTIRELY upon how *effectively* interested in the Mission learn how to put their good ideas together.
GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author