Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

kirby urner

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?
att1.html (2.9 K)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 9:47 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Lets define two modes of learning: recall and recog (short for
> recognition).
>
> How exactly do you recall or recog things you haven?t learned yet.

The definitions were operational. When you hear a lecture on organic
chemistry it draws on your knowledge of spatial geometry and high school
level talk about orbitals and valancies. One spirals, with previously
learned content allowing for extension through omni-triangulation (a fancy
way of saying, connecting the dots, using the terminology of map-making).
Constructivism / Constructionism is about taking responsibility for
creating one's mental maps aka models. Anti-constructionists would prefer
you outsource any model-making to them, the authorities who know better.

Recog is the lecture about chemistry (on Youtube, some Stanford professor
maybe), recall is doing it yourself in the lab, hands-on (means you need to
go somewhere interesting, they send around a van, might say Intel on the
door, among other sponsors).

> Would you have an issue if I said - Let?s define two modes of making
> money, spending and shopping.

I think my terms were coherent. You're having trouble following but that's
not surprising given I'm thinking outside your box and you're what's known
in the business as an "in the box" thinker.

> Without brick and mortar schools and live teachers, where is all of this
> development supposed to take place? And as you mentioned, baby sitting, how
> does that become unnecessary?

I'm glad you admit that it's babysitting. When we almost had a teachers
strike here recently it was "send your kid with a book, our subs won't
teach them anything as we work with the union negotiators, but the day care
functions will be continued, as we know you all have jobs other than
parenting."

Kirby

> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author