Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

kirby urner

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?
att1.html (7.5 K)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 1:41 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>

> > You're having trouble following but that's not surprising given I'm
> thinking outside your box and you're what's known in the business as an "in
> the box" thinker.
>
> I think if you check around, I am anything but an in-the-box thinker. It
> baffles me why you keep reverting to make believe when I ask for
> clarification. But back to your vision. You admit that the students have to
> go somewhere during the day. They have to go to schools. How do you
> envision those schools operating? Are they sitting in front of computers
> and just figuring things out on their own? Why do you think that even has a
> possibility of working when successful A and B students have the benefits
> of live experts critiquing everything they do? Granted, our current system
> works against matching students of X with the experts of X, and the foreign
> students who practice this are filling the void in droves. So where do
> these YouTube students fit into this picture? How do they even stand a
> chance?

A small van, not a school bus, comes to your door and takes your kids to
that School of Video or whatever it's called (that's not what it's called),
near the School of Rock on Hawthorne.

Vans from various neighborhoods, then available for field trips.

"Away teams" venture into the field e.g. over to Warm Springs reservation,
and practice their math skills: carrying 3D cams from Immersive (for
uploading to school server later...)... http://immersivemedia.com/

So yes, there's a school, even a boarding school in some cases. It's just
not the same as a Taylor-esque factory school of circa 1929.

More technology for one thing. More diversity for another (in some
dimensions).

> What is ironic is that your thinking is exactly the same as every other
> reformer?s thinking.

I'm not necessarily a reformer.

Like you, I'm seeing the home environment with high bandwidth optical fiber
as vastly superior as a study environment to anything the school is
providing, so the van doesn't come every day.

The parents also stay home more and telecommute.

Call it the Alaska model: junior stays home and learns violin on Tuesdays
and Fridays.

It's a home / outdoor / venues program, a hybrid, such as many already
pursue. This is the status quo for many families, many more tomorrow.

You should see me as tracking a shifting status quo, trends, on-the-ground
changes, rather than as a reformer.

The landscape is reforming, for sure, but last I checked I was not the
prime mover in the Archimedean sense.

Thank god. I don't wanna be scapegoated like they do to Obama, others
foolishly targeted as "movers and shakers" (as if they had superpowers but
let us down, whine whine).

> It is in the same box. Rather than start with reality you start with
> non-reality. Let me explain it this way. What on god?s earth is standing in
> the way of a YouTube revolution? Nothing!

Exactly, nothing. Youtube is 8 years old, as is here celebrated by the
Gregory Brothers:

http://youtu.be/rZDVEoV_O7Q

> Even if a school blocked them, they are available in spades at home
> everywhere else.

Exactly.

The stupid prison-schools run by adults who need the work, block Youtube.
They dumb the whole place down with their censorious and ludicrous
nay-saying ridiculously obsolete courseware. So oppressive, these latter
day USA "schools" (aka daycare centers).

> We couldn?t have more access to YouTube. Where then is this revolution?

The revolution is ongoing and lots of fun. I'm enjoying it.

> You see? You are in the same box as every other reformer. You have
> explained away reality with something so simple and universally available
> that if it were true it would have made itself known naturally, LONG before
> you came up with the idea. First it was books, then computers, now you and
> you tube videos. The only result of all that dreaming is that we have a
> crap load of books, a crap load of computers and a crap load of you tube
> videos. What we don?t have is a crap load of qualified students.

I'm surrounded by talented and qualified people, good at their jobs.
Remember, I'm not living in Florida....

No, that's not fair. I'm such a Cascadian chauvinist sometimes, almost a
bigot. Florida has pockets of excellence I'm sure.

> What will work, because this is what is working for the students taking
> these jobs, is to bring vocation back to school and stop making education
> about selling education. In this context, vocation doesn?t just mean
> welding. Everything is a vocation, and some vocations involve more
> academics than others. Some involve much more and some involve much less.
> It means having students find the X they like and can succeed at and having
> experts in X teach them. When you trace back every successful graduate,
> that is the common denominator.
>
> Bob Hansen

Yeah, vocations like IT. I'm all for it.

XML in 3rd grade (early / easy stuff, spiraling ahead).

You know what the DOM is by 8th grade... yet how many adult teachers teach
the DOM outside of AP computer class, if at all?

See what I mean?

Send in the vans. Bypass those "daycare for dummies" factory-like
prison-schools.

And stay home with a guardian more, your right as a child (what's a home if
they won't let you study there?)

Van: http://www.tkdtexas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/van1.jpg

(not from the school I'm thinking of but connotes a small business i.e.
classrooms all over town, workshops, city-as-campus)

Kirby

Date Subject Author
6/14/14
Read Why do so many of us hate math?