The Math Forum

Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

kirby urner

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?
att1.html (1.9 K)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 7:54 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > See what I mean?
>
> I see that you never answered the question. Everything you listed is
> available. Online education is at an all-time high, and growing strong.
> IPads are everywhere, another budding crap load. Everything you are listing
> is here. Just like when computers were *here* 40 years ago. It?s all here.
> My question was ?Why isn?t it working?? Why are we in the STEM fields
> competing against each other for qualified candidates and having to fill
> half of the positions with foreign students, who I might add have far less
> of any of these things you speak of, if all of these things you speak of
> are so golden?
>
> I think it is a valid point. Why doesn?t it work?
>
> Bob Hansen

I'd say it's working for some people, with new solutions still to be tried.

The "left behind" ones are the ones pursuing the traditional model of
putting their kids on a big yellow bus or driving them to the local
factory-like prison-school. Those families are not enjoying high living
standards most likely. They live in suburban squalor in a backward zip
code, most likely.

But we're not all equally unfortunate.

As for "where are all the people good at STEM?", it'll take some time to
get these youngsters job-ready etc. YouTube is only 8 years old remember.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
6/14/14
Read Why do so many of us hate math?