Topic: From the Notices of the AMS
Replies: 71   Last Post: Jun 23, 2014 3:56 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: From the Notices of the AMS

Further remarks on parts of my post dt. Jun 17, 2014 2:38 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?messageID=9488830?):

<snip>
Specifically, about the passage:

> However, we certainly know that such 'mental
> models' do appear in the mind of any conscientious
> teacher, and he/she generally tries to follow them.
> What we're doing here in the process we're
> e describing is only 'to represent' those mental
> models in a simple graphical form as a 'structure'
> that can then serve as a guide and 'ready
> reference').

<snip>
In fact, such mental models as discussed above are appearing, willy-nilly, in ALL our minds ALL the time!

For example:

Liping Ma may have had a 'Mission' something like:

-- "To write up and publish in the 'Notices to the AMS' my ideas about how the 'Chinese system of elementary math education' is superior to the US system";

Mark Saul may have worked on a 'Mission' something like:

-- "To demonstrate that Liping Ma's proposals are incorrect and to suggest something better".

'Conscientious math teachers' would generally be seeking to work from an overarching 'Mission Statements' like:

-- "To help my wards get over their 'fear and loathing' of math";

-- "To get my wards interested in math",
(and so on).

[We claim that such 'Missions' exist in the mind even when unstated].

Less conscientious teachers may be working from 'Mission Statements' like:

-- "To get over this bore soonest possible in the easiest possible way so that I can go home and watch TV";

-- "To use this job as a platform so that I can become a merchant banker and make big bucks";
(stuff like that).

The keen student may be working from a 'Mission Statement' like:

-- "Wow! Fascinating stuff! How to get to apply this to real-life issues"
(stuff like that).

The bored student may have a 'Mission Statement' like:
-- "To get over this bore and get adequate marks in my exams any old how so that I can graduate and get admission into college";
(stuff like that).

A couple of Robert Hansen's overarching 'Mission Statements':

-- "To show up GSC, Dan Meyer, Richard Strausz for the frauds they are";

-- "To put up 30-foot PERT Charts on all the walls of all the halls and corridors of the offices where I work, to demonstrate my 'expertise' at Project Management so that I can earn big bucks";
(stuff like that).

A couple of israeliteknight's overarching 'Mission Statements':

-- "To show up 'blacks', 'browns' and others such for the inferior-'IQ' humans that they are";

-- "To send off all the 'blacks' and 'browns' back to Africa, or to the moon";
(and stuff like that).

GSC's overarching 'Mission Statement':

-- "To develop OPMS as a concept and as a practical tool to enable effective problem solving in the real world"
(and a veritable host of 'sub-Missions' developing from that).

A couple of somewhat ignoble 'Missions' of GSC's:

-- "To poke as much fun as possible at the dinosaurs of Math education and at those foolishly fixated on non-science such as 'IQ'";

-- "To get the dinosaurs, etc, riled up and angry!"
(and stuff like that).

I did try (a little) to put away these 'ignoble Missions' once and for all, but, alas, failed in that.

What GSC is doing at Math-teach (and at other forums) is merely to suggest a practical process through use of which we could construct for ourselves simple, easy-to-follow 'representations' of very complex processes going on in all our minds, which representations could subsequently serve as route maps to help us traverse complex systems.

And also, possibly, to help people put this practical process to use to accomplish any *productive* Mission of interest to them.

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
[...]