The Math Forum

Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 9:05 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jun 17, 2014, at 2:15 AM, GS Chandy <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:

> One member of group 'B', Robert Hansen (RH) to be specific, wants GSC to divulge various information that GSC believes is confidential. RH therefore claims that GSC is a phoney and that he, RH, is taking up a 'Mission' to expose GSC as a fraud, as he has already exposed (he claims) others like Dan Meyer (1), Richard Strausz (2) and doubtless others.
>
> I believe that (1) and (2) may in general belong to group 'A', though I've not specifically asked them about their position on this issue.
>
> That's about "where it's at", at the moment , I think. Perhaps Robert Hansen might like to clarify if I'm in error in some respect?

Close enough, but I?ll simplify where I am coming from...

1. I don?t call group A frauds because they want everyone to be good at math. Who wouldn?t?
2. I don?t call group A frauds when they think they have a way to do this. I may just think they don?t.
3. I call group A frauds when they claim they are doing this with no evidence that they are doing this.

At this point?

1. I believe that in order to get anywhere with math it must be intrinsically fun.
2. I don?t believe that math is intrinsically fun to most people.
3. I believe (2) is a natural result of culture, fate and free will.

When we say *math* I think we all mean math after primary school. Algebra and forward. I think we all agree that most people can be taught arithmetic through fractions. Of course, that is only true if we teach arithmetic in its natural, simple, visceral and coherent form. Here are two apples and here is one apple, now we have three apples, and so on. Trying to teach arithmetic using higher order thinking is not teaching it in its natural, simple, visceral and coherent form. But that is what they are doing because they want to open the door to algebra and for some crazy reason, they are willing to close the door to arithmetic to do it, even though everyone has a need for arithmetic and hardly anyone has a need for algebra. And they fail at opening the door to algebra anyways.

Why is there so much fraud? Because people in general are not as reasonable as they are religious. As crazy as it sounds, I believe this is actually an evolutionary advantage. For the most part, the world is a very harsh place that defies even the best of our science and reasoning. Without faith we would have nothing to face that chaos. Scam artists take advantage of this. If you think you have a better way to teach kids math then the only next logical step is to prove it with a positive final result, more kids doing well in math. If you think that the sky would be green then the next step is to walk outside and behold a green sky. But fraudulent educationalists never get to that point because they were never interested in more kids doing well in math in the first place. In fact, they aren?t even interested in education, unless you believe that scam artists who sell bridges are actually interested in bridges. They are interested in selling.

I instead sought out the methods in actual use that result in kids being good at math. Not all of them, just at least some. When you insist that there is actual evidence that the kids are doing well in math the only methods with any results are the traditional methods, or I should say methods that are at least 75% traditional. I have met many people on this journey that say otherwise.

They say they know the secret to making kids good at math.

I say ?Great! I would love to meet these kids.? Who doesn?t love meeting kids good at math.

They reply ?Well, I don?t have any kids to show you.? or ?We can?t release that kind of information.?

I say ?That?s ok, just show me their work and the exams they take."

They say ?Exams are bad and we don?t believe in them.?

I say ?Well, how do you know that they are doing well in math.?

They say ?Because traditional methods are based on rote memorization.?

Obviously, at this point, I realize that I am being scammed. There are no kids doing well at math, just a scam artist trying to make a sale.

Years ago this would have went on for some time. Now it takes me less than a minute to spot the crook. Kind of amazing what all that seeking folded into.

Bob Hansen

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
6/14/14