Topic: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jun 20, 2014 4:00 PM

Dirk Van de moortel

Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?

John Gabriel <thenewcalculus@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OMG ... no. Really? That is simply hilarious. You're a total
>>> fucking moron.

>> It is true.
>> Try it out with a simple example such as
>> f(x) = x^2
>> a = 4
>> b = 7
>> Dirk Vdm

> ( 7^2 - 4^2 )/ 3 = (49-16)/ 3 = 33/3 = 11
>
> The ordinates of f'(x) are given by 2x. The average of the ordinates
> of f'(x) on the interval (4,7) is 11, as expected.
>
> So who is the fucking moron? YOU!

You snipped the part where I said it is true.

Wiz,
the average of a function F over an interval (a,b) is defined as
A(F(a,b)) = 1/(b-a) Int_a^b F(x) dx
Take F = f' and verify:
A(f'(a,b)) = 1/(b-a) Int_a^b f'(x) dx
= 1/(b-a) ( f(b) - f(a) )
= ( f(b) - f(a) ) / (b-a)
I assume you didn't notice the apostophe in f'.

Dirk Vdm

Date Subject Author
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
johngabriel2009@gmail.com
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem? JG doesn't know!
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Wizard-Of-Oz
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Port563
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
johngabriel2009@gmail.com
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/20/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem? JG doesn't know!
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Jeff Hebert
6/19/14
Read Re: The Mean value Theorem in the New Calculus
Jeff Hebert
6/19/14
Read Re: The Mean value Theorem in JG's UNNew UNCalculus
Virgil
6/20/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
hoffman@spectre.com
6/20/14