Topic: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jun 20, 2014 4:00 PM

Port563

Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?

"Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoortel@hotspam.not> wrote...
> John Gabriel <thenewcalculus@gmail.com> wrote:

[blathering removed]

> Take the function f(x) = 1/x.

Dirk, as you know you are spoiled for choice here. The clunkhead might
think - who knows - you've found the only function showing up his system
for what it is.

> See if you can prove continuity at x=1 with *your* equivalence:
> For all epsilon > 0, Exist delta > 0, such that for all x:
> |x-1| < delta <==> |1/x-1| < epsilon
>
> Take epsilon = 2.
> Give me that delta,and I'll give you an x that does
> NOT satisfy the equivalence.

When there are this many holes, there is no point trying to thread together
what material there is that is cogent.

It's a bit like trying to cover a plane with rationals. (-:

Date Subject Author
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
johngabriel2009@gmail.com
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem? JG doesn't know!
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Wizard-Of-Oz
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Dirk Van de moortel
[...]
6/20/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem? JG doesn't know!
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Virgil
6/19/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
Jeff Hebert
6/19/14
Read Re: The Mean value Theorem in the New Calculus
Jeff Hebert
6/19/14
Read Re: The Mean value Theorem in JG's UNNew UNCalculus
Virgil
6/20/14
Read Re: 1.39 - What exactly is the Mean value Theorem?
hoffman@spectre.com
6/20/14