Topic: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Replies: 38   Last Post: Jul 11, 2014 1:53 PM

Michael Press

Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.

In article <lni2vc$jvc$1@news.albasani.net>,
Peter Percival <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:

> John Gabriel wrote:
> >
> > So, at some time during [snip]

> I didn't pay close attention to what I've snipped but I formed the
> impression that you think rational numbers exist, and irrational numbers
> don't. What, then, do you think of the definitions of real numbers in
> terms of rational numbers? (Cuts, Cauchy sequences, nested intervals.)
>
> One can even define real numbers (rationals and irrationals both) as
> sequences of natural numbers 0 to 9 inclusive. I thought Tom Körner had
> some notes to that effect on his web site, but I can no longer see them.

Here is another construction from the integers.

<http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0405454>

--
Michael Press

Date Subject Author
6/23/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Michael Press
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the JG's number line.
Virgil
johngabriel2009@gmail.com
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the JG's number line.
Virgil
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the JG's number line.
John Gabriel
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Michael Press
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
John Gabriel
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Michael Press
6/27/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Michael Press
6/27/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
John Gabriel
6/27/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the "New" (no) Calculus
Virgil
6/24/14
Read a fourth can comment as me
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/23/14
Read *** CRANK ALERT ***
Dan Christensen
6/23/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Dan Christensen
6/24/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
ebaycaper@hotmail.com
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Apollo
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
ebaycaper@hotmail.com
7/1/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Virgil
7/1/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
ebaycaper@hotmail.com
7/1/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Inverse 18 Mathematics
7/1/14
Read in any case, it is completely trivial, by changing the number-base to
three (or a power of three
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
SPQR
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
ebaycaper@hotmail.com
6/30/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
SPQR
7/1/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
David C. Ullrich
7/1/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
SPQR
7/3/14
Read Re: 1.28 - The myth of the 'real' number line.
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/11/14