Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Anna Roys posted Jun 27, 2014 11:15 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9504989)

I guess it is in the 'Buddha-nature' of things that *some* learners are good at math, other learners are not so good at math, and that they prefer, for instance, "music, history, spelling, writing, art, reading, debate, shop, sports, etc, etc, etc.".

But I would suspect that even the laughing Buddha would have had a doubt or two when he found out that the great majority of students in their thousands or millions 'feared and/or loathed' math.

Far be it from me to suggest what he might say or think about it, other than to feel that he might well have stopped laughing - but I personally tend to think that there is some change needed in the 'system of things'.

GSC
> On Jun 27, 2014 8:39 AM, "Robert Hansen"
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 27, 2014, at 9:18 AM, GS Chandy

> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> (GSC): But I venture to suggest that the underlying
> >>reason for the great
> >> majority of students who graduate from school
> >>'fearing and/or loathing
> >> math' has not been adequately addressed. This fear
> >>and loathing for math
> >> derive from severe disabilities in the 'educational
> >>system' - and it is
> >> those disabilities that the educational system
> >>should be addressing.

> > (Robert Hansen): But how do you account for the
> > students all going to the same school and
> > classes, with some liking math, and some not?
> > Doesn?t that indicate that
> > liking math is a personal preference? Similarly
> >with music, history,
> > spelling, writing, art, reading, debate, shop,
> >sports, etc, etc, etc.
> >
> > Bob Hansen
> >
> > ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message