Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jun 29, 2014 9:37 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9505869):

> On Jun 28, 2014, at 2:29 PM, GS Chandy
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > (GSC): Not true at all!!
> >
> > It used to be during the days when I was in school
> > long ago; and for many years till quite recently)
> > that the disciplines of 'choice' were engineering and
> > medicine - that was because the 'best careers'
> > (meaning best paid and/or most secure jobs) were
> > perceived to be in engineering or in medicine.
> >
> > Things have changed quite considerably of late, and
> > it's 'business management' that's the 'in thing' now,
> > though the competition for seats in
> > engineering/medicine is still pretty fierce.

> (RH): This came from team India. I?ll bring up your
> comments when I meet with them next week. But even
> from your reply it seems to still be pretty much the
> case. I was wondering what your thoughts are on such
> a system where the students (in effect) limit
> themselves to so few options, knowing full well that
> many will not succeed?

Your last sentence is factually incorrect (in regard to the number of options available). There is indeed a fair degree of choice here for our students. Check out, for instance, any of the 'career pages' that regularly run in our newspapers. Doubtless the range of choice is nothing like it is in the USA.

A quite sizable number of the students do indeed 'succeed'. Of course, that success may well be measured rather differently from the way it is done in the USA.

However, given all of the above, my thoughts are approximately follows - qualifying this opinion with the statement that it's an issue requiring a study that I've not done:

A: Educational systems in India
======
Our 'educational systems' in India are significantly more incompetent and ineffective than are yours in the USA. We do need to change them quite radically. The problems confronted here are orders more complex and difficult than are the ones confronted in (/by) your educational systems in the USA - and, thus far, we've been making a greater hash of things here than you are in the USA.

I believe that we do have the abilities and the ideas to make the needed changes, but thus far we've not done that at all.

As noted in an earlier post of mine, we are, for various reasons, either:

a) highly imitative of the way things are done in the USA - or else:

b) we (some sections of us, at least) are highly antagonistic to the way things are done in the USA.

We have not yet learned how to sieve out the 'bad' from the 'good' and to take the benefit of the 'good'. Often, what we take up as 'good' is mere empty imitation, with little consideration to developing needed systems for our our own needs.

Probably because we've not yet learned how to handle our societal problems 'systemically', which is the only way, I claim, that real change will ever occur.

But I'm hopeful that things may change, to some degree at least, quite soon.

B: A minor contradiction in your ideas:
======
I do also wonder how come you are so interested in my thoughts though you were very recently demanding that I should be banned from this list for committing just the cardinal 'sin' of expressing these very thoughts.

This appears to be a contradiction of sorts.

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys