Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Joe Niederberger

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jun 30, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> Have you listened to the track?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyiG2oaRO8
> There is an instrument that does beat out the four. Can you name it?

R Hansen:
>Yes I did, but I wasn?t sure what part you were referring to. After the intro it is 3/4 and the bass is holding the beat, One two three, One two three, etc. And then I am hearing a piano come in with a 4 beat layered on top. Very jazzy. I am no good with the drums. And if I saw the sheet music I wouldn?t be surprised if my analysis is wrong. Well, the 3/4 I think is right.:) In such circumstances I often go ?Ah, that?s what is going on.? It is kind of like a puzzle and all has to fit together somehow. I will send it to my friend tomorrow and see what he comes back with.

Thanks for playing the game. Saying its 3/4 or 6/8 or even the more (by today's) standard 12/8 is missing the point a bit. These kinds of rhythms come from a place where polyrhythms were highly advanced without any aid from western concepts such as time signatures. The best way for me to get insight into this was studying this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Clave-Matrix-Afro-Cuban-Principles/dp/1478299479

Even if you say 12/8, there is more to the structure than that.

Companion website has some free excerpts:
http://www.unlockingclave.com/volume-1-the-clave-matrix.html

I assure you though, the 4 beat was already present in the conga intro, and in the "clicking" heard at the end.
Here's a little demo: http://www.unlockingclave.com/standard-pattern-animation.html

and a slightly fancier version:
http://zumu.com/niederberger/MP3s/Fancy%20Bell%20%26%20Shake.mp3

The history of Western trained musicians trying to explain these patterns is very amusing. Thankfully the last couple decades have produced things David Penalosa's book.

Back to math: appreciation has to preceded performance.

I don't know whether Coltrane intentionally changed the rhythym to something he thought would be more appealing to his audiences, but change it he did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOfm6nSW4A

I like the Mongo version much better.

Cheers,
Joe N