Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jul 1, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think people who grow up with these rhythms don't need time signatures at all.

Then why do we? Does all their music fit essentially one time signature, albeit not a signature in the sense of what we call a signature?

> Regardless, 12/8 works best (for some) for adapting western notation to this particular structure which has 4 main beats, and 6 beat overlay, and is divided into 2 cells.
>
> The cells (2 main beats per) are a typical feature of all these types of rhythms which have no exact counterpart in Western music. You could write it as two measures of 6/8 (and its often done), but then the cells fall on alternating measures. It seems better to some to "translate" the structure so that the 4 main beats and the two cells fall into 1 western measure.
>
> You also have to consider that the 4 main beats can be subdivided into triple pulse (3 per main beat) or duple pulse (4 per main beat). 12/8 works well for the triple pulse at least. I think that's what you are pointing to with your comments about GCDs.

Actually, I was talking about true 3 against 4 (western) rhythms, or whatever it is called. I thought you meant that people use 12/8 for that now. But you are saying they use 12/8 for this type of music in particular. Not perfect, but the best that can be done under the circumstances, and a musician would still have to be familiar with the music to actually get it. If I saw examples (which may have been in one of your links) I could follow the details better.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy