Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Gary Tupper

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

The teacher may have been placed in that classroom through no fault of her own. I find the notion that bright students can be easily stymied by teachers to be most curious. Texts typically have end of chapter exercises that hopefully elicit solutions of the student's making. I would presume that a better suited teacher would encourage such deviations from any answer key.

Gary Tupper

Offence can only be taken, never given.

> On Jul 2, 2014, at 9:15 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Lou Talman says:

>> Geometry partially opened my eyes, but I had a teacher who did her very best to keep that from happening by insisting that the only way to approach the subject was to memorize the proofs of the theorems in the textbook; we were not allowed to give our own proofs of those theorems.
>
> So you had a "teacher" who had no business teaching that subject. We had similar in the grade school my son attended. We did talk to the principal but there was nothing that could immediately be done. So we instructed my son to just lay low and grin and bear it. It is real problem though. Its still a painful memory for the one who had to bear it, not to mention the waste of a whole year.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N