Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Joe N. posted Jul 2, 2014 8:46 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9508883):

> GS Chandy says:

> >NONE of the posts has actually enabled us (or anyone
> >else) to *do* something (/anything?), in practice on
> >the ground, or to work towards removing (or at least
> >minimising) the 'fear and loathing' the great
> >majority of students feel for math by the time they
> >pass out from school.

> (Joe N.):Didn't Kirby suggest a better balance between >recog
> and recall (his terms)? To get a more specific,
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Indeed. And I had thought when I wrote that posting that I should use Kirby's terms of 'recog' and 'recall' - but I wasn't sure I'd handle them quite right.
However, the point I was seeking to make was:

How do we get our students beyond that 'fear and loathing' that that they currently feel for math (or, "math lessons", as RH will have it). My claim is that we can, within a couple of years, very significantly reduce it.

Part of the work we need to do would indeed involve getting 'the right balance' between 'recog' and 'recall' - but I believe that is part of it: there is plenty more that is required.

I claim that, most crucially, the *stakeholders* in the educational system together have ALL (or practically all) the ideas that are needed. What they do NOT have is a practical way to *integrate* those good ideas effectively, get rid of the bad ideas, of which there are a great many floating around the mindspace. They (the *stakeholders* in our various systems) need to apply their 'wisdom' effectively to the issues they confront. That is the ONLY way to tackle system problems, the only way to design and implement effective systems to replace the malfunctioning systems we generally have in place today.

I realise that it does embarrass many of us to try and find ways to be 'wise' in the day to day things that we need to do. But just think about it: do we want to go on as we have been doing all too long, in practically every circumstance, just stumbling from one bad situation to another - or would it be preferable to put our *human intelligence* [that we're never tired of boasting that we possess in such plenty] to work for our benefit and for the benefit of our inheritors of the world we leave behind? I believe that it's high time we started demonstrating some signs of human intelligence.

Recall Churchill's great and extraordinary wisdom (though he surely didn't realise it when he said it):

"First we shape our buildings. Then our buildings shape us".

At the time he made that statement (in the British House of Commons), the modern concept of 'systems' was not in wide currency. But just replace the word "building" in Churchill's bon mot with the word "systems" - and you have a piece of wisdom that will be around for a long, LONG time!

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author