Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Louis Talman

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 13:45:25 -0600, <gatupper@gmail.com> wrote:

> The teacher may have been placed in that classroom through no fault of
> her own. I find the notion that bright students can be easily stymied by
> teachers to be most curious. Texts typically have end of chapter
> exercises that hopefully elicit solutions of the student's making. I
> would presume that a better suited teacher would encourage such
> deviations from any answer key.

"Stymied"? Probably not. But what about "misdirected"? She, and her
predecessors, taught me that mathematics is something that it is not. I
had to unlearn that. It was left to me to figure out what mathematics is
and that I do, indeed, like it. It's something I've never forgiven her
for. And never will.

In that classroom through no fault of her own? Possibly. Her
undergraduate degree was in history, with a minor in mathematics. And she
did teach a good deal of history. But she was one of the oldest members of
the faculty, the senior mathematics teacher in my high school, as close to
being chair of the math department as could be, given the way the school
was organized. I suspect that that didn't happen through no fault of her
own.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>